5 Easy Ways To Support Your Immune System
- Sleep, stress, diet and exercise can all impact your immune system health.
- Vitamins A, C, D, E and Zinc are essential micronutrients that support immune health.
Lifestyle, environmental and even genetic factors can impact your immune system. As seasons change, you might want to give your immune system a little TLC.
While there are no life hacks to boost your immune system, there are many daily habits that can support your body’s immune system.
Here are 5 easy ways to support your immune system:
Catch your Zzzs
Did You Know? Sleep deprivation can make you more likely to get sick.1 Getting enough shuteye and maintaining a good sleep-wake cycle plays a key role in your immune health.2
Your circadian rhythm is your body’s way of regulating your sleep-wake cycle. Here are some tips to support your circadian rhythm (and get better sleep):
- Go to bed and wake up at roughly the same time each day
- Avoid caffeine late in the day, especially if you have trouble falling asleep
- Take a melatonin supplement to support sound and restful sleep*. Sundown® offers melatonin gummies, capsules and tablets.
These simple daily habits will support your sleep and help you maintain a healthy immune system.
Find Your Zen
Stress is necessary to our survival. Fight-or-flight responses used to keep our ancestors alive. Nowadays, the story has changed. While temporary stressors (i.e. a big meeting or presentation) may weaken your immune system’s first line of defense, it doesn’t cause any significant harm.4 Chronic stressors (i.e. family illness, trauma), however, will damage your overall immune health.4
Here are some tried-and-true ways to reduce chronic stress:
- Get more sleep, rest often and take breaks at work
- Try some meditation, yoga, and nature time (breathing exercises can relieve tension)
- Exercise often and indulge in leisure activities and hobbies
- Spend time with family and friends
- Take health supplements like Sundown® magnesium, which support a calm and relaxed mood*
- Speak to a healthcare professional and seek help as needed
Stress-relief is the key to maintaining a healthy immune system. Go on and Namaste every day.
Take Your Vitamins
It’s easy to support your immune health and daily diet with our health supplements*. Sundown® offers clean† vitamins you can count on. Our formulas are always Non-GMOˆ and free of artificial flavors. They’re also always gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, and lactose-free!
Here are our recommended picks for immune support:
Zinc supports antioxidant health and helps you maintain a strong immune system.*7 According to the National Institute of Health, a “daily intake of zinc is required”.8 So how do you get your daily dose of zinc? You could eat more zinc-rich foods, such as pumpkin seeds, cashews, or chickpeas.
Fill in nutritional gaps in your diet with Sundown’s easy daily supplement, Essential Zinc. One capsule a day will satisfy your daily need for this important mineral.*
When exposed to sunlight, our bodies make Vitamin D, a.k.a. the “sunshine vitamin”. In addition to supporting bone and nerve health, Vitamin D also supports immune system health*. Vitamin D is not readily available in your diet. So if you live in the northern hemisphere or spend a lot of time indoors, you may want to try a daily vitamin D supplement.
Vitamin C is a celebrity in the world of supplements, well-known for its role in immune system support. Citrus fruits, bell peppers, broccoli and many veggies contain this essential antioxidant.
FYI: Vitamin C works best when taken regularly, not when you’re already sick. To get your full daily intake, try Sundown®’s daily vitamin C tablets, chewables, or yummy gummies to support your immune system.*
Get Your Blood Pumpin’
Studies show moderate-intensity exercise is helpful for your immune system.11 This means consistent, daily exercise–whether you break a sweat or not–is important for a well-functioning immune system.
To support your immune health, get your blood pumpin’! Whether it’s hitting the gym, striking a downward facing dog pose or going for a long walk/bike ride, working out your body will support your body’s immune system.* The endorphin rush is an added bonus!
Eat Your Fruits And Veggies
Mom was right: you are what you eat. Poor diets can suppress your immune cells’ activity and weaken antibody production. A varied, nutrient-rich diet helps you maintain a strong immune system – no surprise there.12
Many micronutrients support immune health – including vitamins C, D, and zinc (as mentioned earlier)*. Two other main ones include vitamins A and E.*13,14
- Vitamin A regulates your immune function.*15 Vitamin A-rich foods include: sweet potatoes, spinach, and carrots.
- Vitamin E helps support your immune function.*14 It’s found in vegetable oils, nuts, seeds (like peanuts or sunflower seeds), and green veggies, like broccoli.14
Macronutrients are also vital to a healthy diet and immune system. They include: carbohydrates, fats, fiber, minerals, proteins, vitamins and water. Sundown®’s clean† vitamins support your immune system and general good health by filling in the nutritional gaps in your diet.*
Healthy eating doesn’t need to be hard. Here are some final tips:
- As a rule of thumb, fruits and vegetables should make up half of your plate.16
- Don’t be picky— “eat the rainbow” to reap more nutritional benefits from your meals.
Stay Healthy Every Day
There’s no secret solution to better immune health. But by paying more attention to these five main areas of your daily life, you can support your body’s immune system. For best results, stay consistent with your wellness routine!
Did you find this article helpful? Stay up-to-date on the latest health tips, tricks, and trends. Follow us on Instagram (@sundownnutrition) or sign up for our newsletter today!
†Clean defined as all products Non-GMO^, and free of gluten, wheat, dairy, lactose and artificial flavors.
ˆApplies to all Sundown Kids Products manufactured after 5/1/20 and Sundown products. Please check back of label for product information.
Products featured in this article