Make-Ahead French Toast Recipe
This simple French Toast casserole can be prepared in 10 minutes the night before, and stored in the fridge until morning. It’s a gluten-free crowd pleaser and great way to start the day!
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 loaf Ezekiel Bread, torn into 1” or 2” pieces
- 8 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, stir melted butter and brown sugar together until combined. Pour on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange pieces of bread in the baking dish, forming a layer that completely covers the bottom of the dish. Overlap the pieces, if necessary.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a bowl. Once combined, pour the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the French toast, take the dish out of the fridge. Let it stand for at least 10 minutes at room temperature before putting it into the oven. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove French toast from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired, and enjoy!
Optional: Strawberries, maple syrup and powdered sugar for topping