As the weather gets warmer, fresh fish and salsa is a light and easy meal option.
This lean recipe from Sundown® is both free of gluten and dairy, and bursting with protein, flavor, and colorful fruits and veggies. If you don't have a mango on hand, strawberries make a tasty substitute. Dress your cooked, marinated tilapia fillets generously with your fresh mango salsa, and revel in the delicious finished product!
For the tilapia & marinade you'll need:
• 2 (6-oz.) tilapia fillets
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp dried basil
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp salt
For the mango salsa:
• 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
• 2 Tbsp red onion, minced
• 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a bowl, add the marinade ingredients: extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, basil, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine.
2. Pour the marinade into a resealable plastic bag, add the tilapia fillets and coat them with the marinade. Seal the bag, squeezing out any excess air. Marinate the fillets in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. While the tilapia is marinating, make the mango salsa: combine the mango, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper in a bowl. Add the lime juice and lemon juice, and toss well to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. Set a grill pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. If using an outdoor grill, preheat the grill to medium-high, and lightly oil the grate.
5. Remove the tilapia from the resealable bag and shake off the excess marinade. Discard the bag and the remaining marinade.
6. Cook the fillets until the tilapia is no longer translucent in the center, and flakes easily with a fork - usually about 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
Spoon the mango salsa over the cooked tilapia fillets, serve and enjoy!